In the Sanctuary at 8:30AM and 11AM -
a blended service of traditional and contemporary elements with communion

In the hall at 9:45AM
scripture, prayer, and creative response with communion

Worship each Sunday @ 8:30AM, 9:45AM, and 11AM

Featured Post

Our Many Gendered God

This week at Trinity Lutheran, we'll be thinking about issues of gender and the ways we still need to transform our society.  I've b...

Saturday, June 21, 2008

New medication seems to have the pinched hiatal hernia behaving nicely and our 500 mile journey from Roanoke to New York went just fine. We took a small jaunt to Gettysburg along the way so that the kids could see a place where they spent some of their early years (We were there from 1996 through 1999) while I attended seminary. To the left is a picture of the boys and I in front of the campus statue of Martin Luther. Piper got to see some co-workers from the days that she worked in the seminary development office. The weather continued to be gorgeous and we took a quick stroll around the grounds reminiscing. It is hard to believe how quickly the years have passed by. We jumped back into the van to push on east as Friday rush hour began to build. We also discovered a secret about our little GPS car navigator - it doesn't like it when a bunch of streets split off into various directions all at once. Piper tells me that it is just me, though - getting lost since I was 18 and still going strong! That might explain how we ended up at the Port of Newark or went to my sister's house in Baldwin (NY) via Manhattan. I swear that the GPS navigator knew my fear of driving in New York City and decided to show me some tough love.

Saturday we took the train to Penn Station, picked up the subway to South Battery and the ferry to the Statue of Liberty.

Getting on the ferry is about as fun as going through security at the airport, except for the two hour long line. On the plus side there were many interesting musicians, artists, and tourists to observe along the way. One fellow played the saw with a violin bow, another the steel drums, while a third blew on a beat up old trumpet. One singer, who must have been in his 70's, sang Caruso to a scratchy old cassette. A quartet of Latin men dressed up like the Statue of Liberty, donning rubber "Liberty" masks, crowns, Ray Bans and double length green robes (they were standing on stilts or some tall box) and invited folks to come and take pictures, draping them in the American flag and handing them a torch to hold (This is New York, after all.) If that isn't kitschy enough, in the official Liberty Island store you can buy a plastic Statue of Liberty filled with 100% pure maple syrup. We took the guided tour - our US Park Service guide rocked. He must do stand up in the off-season. The Statue continues to be off-limits to visitors above the base level (Thanks to 9-11) and we didn't have reserve tickets (needed to enter the base), so we wandered the grounds and enjoyed the beautiful afternoon.

We grabbed the ferry and headed off to Ellis Island (It wasn't opened when I was a kid, but now it is really something). We caught a play about Bela Lugosi's immigration experience there (yes, that Bela Lugosi). My ancestors came here before Ellis Island got up and running, but one can't help but appreciate what it was like when our doors were wide open and millions of people flooded in and built our nation (literally).

Feeling adventurous, we took the subway to Broadway and wandered around the city a bit. (Here we are at Radio City Music Hall). Luke enjoyed the two story Nintendo store, while we all took in the sights, sounds, and smells of the Theater district. After a false-start and one phone call to my city-wise sister (some how we ended up at Central Park) we grabbed the "C" train to Penn Station and then the LIRR back to Rockville Center.

Tomorrow I baptize my niece, Olivia Grace. Blessings to All!

No comments: