WORSHIP WITH US!
8:30AM, 9:45AM in the hall, or 11AM

Location:
7150 Pines Blvd
Pembroke Pines, FL 33024
The SE corner of Pines Blvd and 72nd Ave
Across the street from Broward college South Campus lake
(954) 989-1903
tlcppines@gmail.com


Join Us For Worship!

Join Us For Worship!
Sundays at 8:30AM, 9:45AM, and 11AM

Featured Post

Advent Meditation on Joseph

The reading for Sunday, December 17, 2017: Matthew 1:18-25 This Sunday we read about an angel appearing to Joseph in a dream. We've no...

Sunday, February 27, 2011

SERMON on 1 COR 4:1-5
“Servants of Christ and Stewards of God's Mysteries.”


I want you to repeat after me:
When I got baptized [when I got baptized]
I got a job [I got a job]

When I got baptized, [When I got baptized]
I got a job [I got a job]

Good. Now I didn’t make that up – someone much smarter than me did. But I like it. And it is true. Which is even better.

When I got baptized [when I got baptized]
I got a job [I got a job]

Now, let’s talk about that job – shall we?

Can we…you know…talk?

Do you know what that job is?

Now when I was baptized, my job, I am sure, was to be the cutest baby ever.

If you were baptized as a baby, isn’t that a universal truth – you can take to the bank:

Your job – is to be the cutest baby ever.

But if the stories are true – and I have no reason to believe that they are not – the job I actually did as a baby involved crying 24/7 - crying so much, in fact, that two things actually happened. One, I made my mother so sleep deprived that she left the plastic bottle sterilizing on a pot of boiling water on the stove and all of the water boiled away and the bottle began to melt in the pan and began to catch fire. Then my mother woke up decided that having a lot of kids after me might be a bit of a reach, if not flat out dangerous. The second thing that happened after all of that crying was that at 18 months of age I cried myself into a hernia that required surgery. And I am sure that the anticipate size of our family continued to shrink. There was exactly one more sibling and she took four years to come along, plenty of time for my parents to forget how I wasn’t the cutest baby ever, but perhaps the one that cried the most.

When I got baptized, I got a job, but the job that I did was to cry and cry and cry and that my friends is not the job God gave me to do. There is nothing cute about baby bottles catching fire or surgical scars on an 18 month old.

Now let’s be honest, God has bigger and bolder plans than giving us the job of being cute – even though that’s what babies are , aren’t they? God has bigger and bolder plans for the likes of you and me.

Right there in Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, God puts a name on what we already know:

When I got baptized [when I got baptized]

I got a job [I got a job]

You ready? Here it is: Servants of Christ and Stewards of God's Mysteries

That is so cool that I want to say it again: A Servant of Christ and Steward of God's Mysteries

Now let me ask you something. We got some teachers here? Do you think that any two teachers teach exactly alike?

Any parents? Any chance that we could hope to find any two sets of parents that parent exactly alike? No. probably not.

We may all have the same job: Servants of Christ and Stewards of God's Mysteries, but chances are that we are each going to serve and steward differently. Do you believe that? We are going to serve and steward differently. And that’s part of God’s wonderful way of shaping and forming, of creating and shepherding God’s people. We all have the same basic job, but we go about using our individual gifts, in many different ways.

Now the people in the church at Corinth, the ones who went to the church that Paul addresses his letter to the Corinthians to – those people – they had some problems. Some issues that they had to face. These folks were not exactly the poster children for a healthy community. They were a very gifted people, but among other things they loved to judge. Their pride got in the way and they loved to judge – figure out who was the better Christian – who had the most gifts for serving Jesus – the coolest gifts. My gifts are greater than your gifts. Oh, yea, I can speak in tongues – Oh yea, well I can interpret tongues. OH YEA! Well I have more gifts than Paul and he is an apostle – beat that. And so on and so forth.

Paul reminds them – look you all have the most important job in the world. You are Servants of Christ and Stewards of God's Mysteries. You might approach that job differently, but you are not to judge one another. Not to take actions to rip apart a community rather than to build it up. Communities are hard things to build and shape and form – and judgment and pride and so many other things can tear it apart, tear it up. Paul warms them that they have a job and that God has high expectations for them, For you. For me. Very high expectations. Servants of Christ and Stewards of God's Mysteries – that’s what we are.

So as a community for whom God has given each of us individually and all of us collectively this profound and holy job – as a community for whom God has expressed the highest of expectations – let us ask Luther’s age old question: “What does this mean?” If we are not supposed to be tearing the community down through judgment and a thousand other things that bring pain and grief and sorrow, then what should we be doing for this task? Well, if we ain’t tearing down, we ought to be building up. Building up one another and building up ourselves – engaging in faith practices that draw us deeper into relationship with God. As much as folks mis-use the term “spirituality” these days – that’s what it is about – about drawing into a deeper and more meaningful relationship with God.

Lent is coming, a season of the church year when many people find themselves particularly open into drawing themselves into a deeper and more meaningful relationship with God. We will help one another by inviting each other to take one a discipline for the season. We will be a more prayerful community. We will be an even more supportive community. A more spiritual community. God has high expectations for us. Please join me in prayer….

No comments: